Saturday, May 21, 2016

Testing the safety net

We got the bill from our 3 year old's visit to the ER (she fell and hit her head on Valentine's day, requiring stitches and staples, but she's fine now) and we got started with braces for our 8 year old to correct his underbite.
Ouch, in more ways than one.  I am trying to look at the bright side- we are stable enough that we didn't have to go into debt for either item, but it did completely drain our medical savings account, and it almost completely drained what other savings we had built up, aside from the emergency fund, which I try to dip into only when there is nothing left in our other savings accounts.
Almost the only thing left in there is what we need for bills, so almost all of our discretionary money is gone.  I did leave our vacation money in there, since we won't have time to rebuild that before we go this summer.
It is sort of sad, because we were hoping to buy new beds for our girls soon- we even went shopping last weekend and had one ready to order, but we'll have to cancel it.  I was going to buy some shorts at goodwill for myself, but that will have to wait (at least until the next paycheck, when we'll start to rebuild our discretionary funds).
This is the difficult part of budgeting- making sacrifices in order to stick to the plan.  It stinks, but I would much rather live like this- knowing we had a cushion, and we were able to use it, than to have to scramble for funds, to have to go into debt just to pay our bills.  So, I'm trying to revel in the peace of how we are choosing to use our money, because it does give me peace.  I am not worried.  That is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment