Saturday, August 20, 2016

Where we went over budget

We spent $10 over what we had in our account for entertainment.  These little indiscretions add up, and I used to just let them be absorbed by my husband's extra income, but now I've decided if we run up a "negative balance" on some categories, I am going to "repay" the balance with future category deposits, rather than just evening it out with the extra income, which is supposed to be going towards student loans.  We have a debt payoff plan that is in line with our average extra income every year divided by 12, so that we SHOULD be paying an average of an extra $304 per month, but as you can see, that hasn't been happening because the money is slipping away towards our overspending in other categories.  So, I set up automatic debits with his student loans for the extra $304 on top of his regular monthly payment to keep ourselves accountable.
I've decided to change our budget update to Thursdays, since that is when I sit down to balance the checkbook anyway, so that makes more sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment