Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Here we go! September's goal

So, I've been toying with this idea for a while, mostly to have some more accountability in my spending, but also to share and seek ideas on how to live happily on less money.  I have also been asked advice on how I make our family's budget work.
So, every week, I'm going to lay everything out there- the way we have spent our money, our plans, our goals, our dreams, in the hopes that we can all learn from each other, because I know I definitely don't have it all figured out yet, and I would love input from each of you, and I welcome questions!
So, to start this adventure, I will share the biggest financial goal we have right now, and that is to prepare our current home for sale, and to build or buy a home (with a bigger yard!) to contain our family of six (my husband, myself, and our children, ages 9, 7, 4, and 2) because we bought our current home intending it to be a starter home, and it is getting rather crowded.  To reach that goal, we plan on saving up for a down payment and closing costs, as well as paying off our student loans before we take on that new mortgage.  Our current student loan balance between the two of us is an embarrassing $62,335.07
Our goal as a family this month of September is to reduce our water consumption.  Feel free to play along with us!  Each month, we will have a small goal to focus on, and whatever we've saved that month (compared to the previous month's bill), we will put into savings for our dream home.  It won't be much, but every penny counts, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment