Sunday, January 1, 2017

January's challenge

This month's challenge is to save money on electricity!  Which means we need to finish closing all the storm windows, because we are supposed to get some snow this week, and it is COLD!  I'm pretty sure we closed them in the bedrooms already, but not all of the main living areas.
One thing that made a big difference last challenge and was relatively painless was to turn down the heat at night.  We've already found our ideal temperature for winter during the day while we're at home (68 degrees), but I hadn't tried messing with the night time temperature.  I waited until it was chilly enough that we would notice, and turned it down one degree every night until we noticed and were uncomfortable, then I went back up one degree to where we were still comfortable, and it turns out that is 64 degrees.  Before, I had it set at 68, and it is surprising the difference in the bill it made, but we didn't even notice!  One thing I DO notice is that when the heat starts higher in the morning (we have a programmable thermostat, so it is automatic), it feels SO warm, and it actually feels good to get out of bed, because I start to feel too hot under the covers (at 68 degrees, can you believe it?).

No comments:

Post a Comment