Saturday, November 14, 2015

Where we went over budget, and challenge update

We're still about $30 over where we should be with food, so I will try to be more careful.  It will probably take me a few weeks to get back to where I should be- I can't expect to spend $30 less in one week, with only $8o to start with.
I owe you an explanation of the massive negative number under work expenses: my husband got his reimbursement- yay!
Our challenge this month has been to save gas.  We've been walking more places, and I try not to run out so many times in one week, and consolidate my errands- if I do have to go out, I try to think if there's something that I can also do while I'm already out.  One thing I could stand to improve on is carpooling.  I'm shy about asking if anyone wants to, but in the end, it's cheaper for everyone involved, so I shouldn't be!
We got our bills for the previous months' challenges.  Our water bill only comes every two months, so I had to wait that long for September's challenge results.  I have to say, I was shocked!  I kept looking at it to see if there was a mistake.  Over two months, we saved an average of $25.14 each month, for a total of $50.28 over the two month bill cycle.  Wow!  It's sort of sad that we really waste that much water each month, but I'm happy with how much we saved.
October, unfortunately, we were not as good at saving electricity.  I should have gone further than just turning off lights and unplugging things.  We actually paid a whopping 31 cents more than last year at the same time- the temperatures were similar, and the rate was the same, it was actually our consumption that went up.  But only by 31 cents, so I shouldn't beat myself up about it, but it was sort of a disappointment after doing the calculations on the water bill.  Well, we'll do that challenge again sometime, and see if we can be more aggressive!

No comments:

Post a Comment